January 27, 2011

Knitting at a Kings Hockey Game

Our LYS went to the King's hockey game last night at the Staples Center in downtown LA for a "sticks and stitches" event. The owner of the LYS is a King's fan, so she was excited about organizing a group to go.

Twelve of us from our LYS sat together. Unfortunately, the other groups from other stores were scattered around so we didn't have a huge knit-in like we hoped. But on the upside, it turned out not to be cold where we were sitting in the nose-bleed section.

I brought two projects with me. It was too dark up where we were sitting for me to work on the new cowl project I had where I needed to read my stitches in order to know what to knit. So I pulled out another project I'm working on, a yoga sock that I designed myself with some marvelous leftover bright blue sock yarn. That worked ok, but the yarn has stripes of dark brown in it and it's on size 1 needles. So knitting parts of it was a bit of a challenge in the dark. Of course, that didn't stop me from trying, and I ended up getting a good 4-5 rows done.

Also, I discovered that hockey is actually pretty fast moving. (I'd never been to a live hockey game before.) Too often, when I looked down to knit a few stitches, something would happen, and I missed it. I missed one of the two goals that way. During the breaks, when I thought I'd get some knitting done, we were having fun socializing. So I didn't get as much knitting done as I thought I would. But I did get to talk about knitting with the others, and saw a great, action packed hockey game that went into overtime and 4 shootouts.

Overall, was great fun. I'd go again. But next time, I'll bring a project with white yarn, on big needles, knit in garter or stockinette, and not concern myself too much about how much knitting gets done.

No comments:

Post a Comment